Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will each be a Pinpoint Weather Alert Day.
The wind chill temperatures during this week’s storm system could cause frostbite in as little as ten minutes.
If you are planning to venture out into the extreme cold, it’s crucial to be prepared in case you are stranded.
What should you have in your emergency kit?
- Cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries
- Items to stay warm such as extra hats, coats, mittens, and blankets
- Windshield scraper
- Battery-powered radio with extra batteries
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Water and snack food
- First aid kit with any necessary medications and a pocket knife
- Tow chains or rope
- Tire chains
- Canned compressed air with sealant for emergency tire repair
- Cat litter or sand to help tires get traction, or road salt to melt ice
- Booster cables with fully charged battery or jumper cables
- Hazard or other reflectors
- Bright colored flag or help signs, emergency distress flag, and/or emergency flares
- Road maps
- Waterproof matches and a can to melt snow for water
It is also important to make sure you have a full tank of gas to avoid the fuel line freezing in your vehicle.
Where to see weather alerts
If a winter alert is issued for your area, whether it is a blizzard watch or warning, winter weather advisory or winter storm warning, it will always show up at the top of the FOX31 website. You can see all weather alerts here.
The Pinpoint Weather team will continue to update the forecast multiple times each day.