A Red Flag Warning is in effect from 8 a.m.-9 p.m. for a large portion of our state.
Here’s why the fire danger will be so high today:
- Strong wind gusts of 25-50 mph, with higher gusts possible for the mountains and southern Colorado
- Dry conditions, with no rain or snow expected until Saturday
- Low humidity of 5%
- Near-record heat: Highs will be in the mid-80s
There are several steps that can be taken to prevent wildfires. Here are some important tips from the National Weather Service:
- Do not light campfires, bonfires, candles or anything else that could blow over and start a fire.
- If you smoke, be sure to extinguish your cigarette or cigar before disposing of it. Never throw a burning item out a window.
- Bag up trash, clippings and other easily flammable items.
- Don’t drive on areas of dry vegetation/grass
- Be vigilant, and if you see a fire or suspicious activity, report it immediately
- Avoid activities with open flames or sparks
- Avoid power equipment that creates sparks
- Obey burn bans
Be sure to download the free Pinpoint Weather App to stay up-to-date with the newest weather data as it comes in and to get important alerts straight to your phone.