Broncos drop second in a row, 21-13 in San Diego

Denver Broncos

SAN DIEGO, CA – OCTOBER 13: Trevor Siemian #13 of the Denver Broncos passes in the pocket during the first quarter against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium on October 13, 2016 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — The Broncos fell to AFC West rival San Diego, 21-13 on Thursday night, their second consecutive loss.

The loss snapped an NFL record 15-game road winning streak within the division for the Broncos.

Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis served as coach in place of Gary Kubiak, who took the week off after a health issue after Sunday’s game. Kubiak’s son, Klein, tweeted that he was watching the game with his father.

Quarterback Trevor Siemian returned as the starting quarterback after missing Sunday’s 23-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons because of an injured left shoulder.

It was an ugly first half for the Broncos, only getting 60 yards of total offense.

Much like last week’s game against the Falcons, things didn’t start great for the Broncos as the Chargers marched down the field for a touchdown on the opening drive taking the early lead 7-0.

The Broncos were forced to punt after their first drive, and that would be how the majority of drives ended for the Broncos throughout the half.

After a Chargers field goal and a Broncos field goal, the first half ended 10-3.

Field goals became the story of the third quarter as the Broncos defense held the Chargers to field goals each of the three times they made it down to the red zone.

After the Broncos tried to get something going on offense late in the third quarter, they were only able to set Brandon McManus up for a 56-yard field goal that went wide right.

Things seemingly got worse for the Broncos as the fourth quarter kicked off with a holding call in the end zone on the Broncos resulting in a safety making it 21-3.

But things started to look up as the Broncos finally managed to get a touchdown in the middle of the fourth quarter with a pass from Siemian to Bennie Fowler to make it 21-10.

The Broncos found the end zone again in the fourth quarter with C.J. Anderson running it in, but it was called back on a penalty — and the Broncos later turned the ball over.

After a McManus field goal made it a one-possession game, it all came down to a failed Hail Mary with seconds left in the game.

The Broncos get a mini-bye and won’t play until a “Monday Night Football” game on Oct. 24 against former quarterback Brock Osweiler and the Houston Texans.

Denver Broncos News

Orange & Blue Report

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories