Which outdoor dining chairs are best?
Outdoor dining chairs are a great addition to any outside space, from the front porch to the back deck. Whether you want to entertain guests or enjoy lounging outside, outside seating can let you expand your living space and liven up the area.
The best wooden dining chairs for outdoor use are the Christopher Knight Teague Outdoor Acacia Wood Dining Chairs. They’re durable, aesthetically pleasing and versatile enough for any space.
What to know before you buy outdoor dining chairs
Location and terrain
Before setting up an outside living space, consider the environment and terrain. This can affect the style, aesthetic, setup and type of furniture you get.
You can set up outdoor dining chairs and other furniture in many places, such as:
- On the porch.
- Beneath a large tree.
- On the patio or deck.
- Near a swimming pool.
- In a lounge area.
- Near a garden or greenhouse.
- By a firepit or outdoor portable campfire.
Wherever you put it, check the terrain. If the ground is uneven, it could make placing furniture tricky. Chairs, in particular, can more easily tip over or wobble when placed on rocky ground. The same goes for wet or slippery areas, such as by the pool or in a dip in the land.
It’s possible to place chairs and other dining furniture outside on uneven terrain, but this could require leveling out the area or adding support to the furniture’s feet or base.
Outdoor furniture takes up space, even smaller pieces such as dining chairs, so it’s a good idea to know how much room you have before filling it up. Measure the area to determine a few things, such as:
- How many chairs and other pieces of furniture you can easily fit.
- The ideal placement of the outdoor furniture.
- Any potential obstacles, such as a post or potted plants, which could limit the space.
- How many people you can realistically accommodate in the given space.
- How far back the chairs can go when pushed back or otherwise moved.
Once you have a rough idea of the available space, you can set up the furniture. Make adjustments as you go.
Weather and care
Outdoor dining chairs are usually made to handle general environmental conditions, such as rain or direct sunlight. That doesn’t mean they’re immune to damage, though. Common issues with outside furniture include:
- Sun damage from when ultraviolet rays hit the furniture. This could cause discoloration and fading. If the furniture is cheaply made, the sun and high heat could also melt or otherwise damage it. An outdoor umbrella could help prevent sun damage.
- Rust or rot when certain materials, such as wood, are exposed to frequent moisture. If you live in a rainy area or a place that hails or snows a lot, consider keeping the furniture covered.
- Mildew, a type of mold, is commonly found on outdoor furniture and can slowly ruin it.
- High temperatures can, among other things, cause furniture to expand, shrink or warp.
It’s often a good idea to store patio furniture in a covered space, such as a shed or in the garage, when not in use for long periods. This can extend its longevity and keep it in good condition for when you want to bring it back out. Additionally, clean the furniture regularly to prevent such issues as mildew or moisture damage.
What to look for in quality outdoor dining chairs
Outdoor dining chairs come in different styles. Some have arms, and a few swivel. Many come with a cushioned seat and back for additional comfort. This cushion is often removable, making it easy to clean and replace if needed.
The designs and themes are limitless and include:
- Rattan garden furniture with woven patterns.
- Single or solid material and color.
- Minimalistic print or pattern (for example: geometric, floral and stripes).
- Rustic or vintage design or color.
- Contrasting frame and cushion colors or patterns.
- Different shapes for the cushion or seat.
The material used in constructing the chairs is important because it affects everything from their durability to how comfortable they are. Common materials for the frame include:
- Wood: Teak, cypress and cedar are popular, and they are sometimes mixed with resin for a more natural appearance. Resin is used, especially in wicker furniture, because it is lightweight and resists environmental damage.
- Rattan: Popular in wicker weaves, rattan is durable but not water-resistant.
- Metal: Strong and long-lasting, common metals are stainless steel and aluminum. Metal can corrode or rust over time when it gets and stays wet. It can also heat up easily, making it uncomfortable to touch.
- Plastic: Although less durable in harsh weather, plastic chairs are often inexpensive. Some consist of high-density polyethylene, which is stronger.
The cushions often consist of synthetic materials somewhat resistant to weather damage. They include:
How comfortable the chairs are is especially important if you plan to sit in them for long periods. While some have cushions for extra support, not all do. Some use mesh that tailors itself to the way you sit. Others, such as metal or plastic chairs that don’t have cushions or mesh, can be uncomfortable to sit on. There are also ergonomic chairs, which can handle different postures and support the spine, arms, hips and legs.
It’s possible to buy individual outdoor dining chairs, but most come in sets of two to four.
If you’re interested in sprucing up your outdoor space even more, here are some other pieces to add to your setup:
- Dining table.
- Footrests or ottomans.
- Standing umbrellas.
- Patio beds.
- Side tables.
Many of these pieces serve two or more functions. Ottomans, for example, offer extra storage space. Umbrellas, meanwhile, can shield you and the furniture from the sun.
How much you can expect to spend on outdoor dining chairs
This depends on how many chairs are in the set, the materials and the build quality. A small set of outdoor dining chairs usually costs $100-$200. An individual chair could cost closer to $40-$60. Larger or more intricate sets go up to around $400.
Outdoor dining chairs FAQ
Can indoor dining chairs go outside?
A. Most indoor furniture is not designed for outdoor use. Their fabrics and other materials generally don’t resist things such as mold or sun damage. Placing inside chairs and other furniture outside could also lead to discoloration or deterioration.
Can I leave outdoor dining chairs outside all year?
A. Typically, yes. Be sure to cover the furniture during heavy rainfall, snow and hail. Winterizing outdoor furniture can also help preserve it much longer.
What are the best outdoor dining chairs to buy?
Top outdoor dining chairs
Christopher Knight Outdoor Acacia Wood Dining Chairs
What you need to know: These beautifully designed chairs are minimalistic and versatile enough for any outdoor space.
What you’ll love: This set’s two acacia chairs have a rich texture and are easy to assemble. They are also sturdy and can be positioned on uneven terrain.
What you should consider: The finish doesn’t resist heavy rainfall, snow or hail.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Top outdoor dining chair for the money
Flash Furniture Black Rattan Indoor-Outdoor Stack Chairs
What you need to know: These rattan chairs are large enough for adults and go well with any outdoor dining table or furniture set.
What you’ll love: Available in four colors, including black and beige, these reliable chairs are lightweight and easy to position. They have a powder-coated metal frame that resists environmental damage. They come in sets of one, two and four.
What you should consider: The legs aren’t sturdy enough for rocky ground.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Worth checking out
Kurz Stacking Patio Dining Armchair
What you need to know: This set of five stackable armchairs is perfect for entertaining guests outside.
What you’ll love: Constructed with powder-coated steel, these chairs are durable and can support up to 300 pounds. They have comfortable armrests and a breathable fabric back that keeps you from overheating during hot days.
What you should consider: They could start to rust if left outside in the rain for long.
Where to buy: Sold by Wayfair
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Angela Watson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.