DENVER — Chef Natalie Schwab, the culinary demonstrator for Johnson & Wales University, shows us how to make grilled carne asada tacos.
Fresh ingredients are provided by King Soopers.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- 1/3 cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 5-6 pounds of skirt steak
- Combine all ingredients except the steak into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the steak into a gallon sized freezer bag or into a shallow baking dish, or a non-reactive (plastic or glass) storage container with a lid.
- Pour carne asada marinade on top of meat, cover dish or close bag, and marinate overnight up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Take meat out of container and grill until just cooked through, at least 145 degrees
- Remove the steak from the grill and cut into thin strips.
- To serve, Place the steak and your choice of toppings into a tortilla (flour or corn)
Topping ideas: Salsa, cheese, guacamole, avocado slices, fresh lime juice, tomatoes, shredded cabbage or lettuce.