This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Chef Chris DeJohn from Centerplate shows us how to make a cowboy steak.
Niman Ranch Spicy Grilled Ribeye Steak with Chipotle Butter & Corn Salsa
FOR THE BUTTER
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
FOR THE SALSA
- ¾ cup Olathe corn grilled
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- Coarse salt
FOR THE DRY RUB
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 Ribeye Steaks with Bone
- Soft polenta or Yukon Mashed Potatoes for serving
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, chipotle peppers, and cilantro until well mixed. Place butter in plastic wrap and roll into a log shape. Chill.
- In a non-reactive dish, whisk together cumin, salt, coriander, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Add the steaks to the spice rub, turning to coat the meat thoroughly with the rub and pressing with your fingers to help it adhere to the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- In a medium bowl, stir together corn, red pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro. Add lime juice and vinegar. Season to taste with coarse salt. Refrigerate.
- Heat grill to medium-high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Lightly oil hot grates.
- Let steaks stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Grill steaks for about 3-4 minutes on the first side. Using tongs, flip each steak to the other side and grill for another 3-4 minutes, or until desired doneness. We suggest medium-rare, which would register 125 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Let steaks rest for 5-6 minutes. Serve over soft polenta with a generous pat of chipotle butter and corn salsa on the side.