This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Chef Theo Adley from The Squeaky Bean tells us about the Denver Trash Fish Dinner.
Grilled Mackerel – Recipe by The Squeaky Bean’s Theo Adley
- 1 small mackerel, boned, gutted and butterflied
- 2 ears of corn, cut from cob
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pinch of chili pepper
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 1/2 a lime
- Kosher salt
- Evoo olive oil
- Turn grill up to high. Liberally season the mackerel with salt and drizzle with a little oil.
- Once the grill is screaming hot, put the butterflied fish skin side down on the grill. After about three minutes, she'll be done.
- For the corn, heat a pan over high. Throw in a golf ball sized nugget of butter and let it brown lightly. Add your corn and a pinch of salt.
- Once it achieves a little color, add the garlic and smidge of chili, and toss.
- Cook an additional minute or two, throw in your fresh mint and a nice squeeze of lime juice.
- Taste it for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Place the mackerel on top and drizzle some olive oil around with panache.
- Turn to someone nearby and scream, "Voila!" so loud it startles them a little. Enjoy and ahoy.