Chef Kelly Yorke from The Kitchen Hotline shows us how to make this healthy swap.
Healthy Swaps Skillet Ravioli Lasagna
(*see dietary notes)
Recipe by: Chef Kelly Yorke
|2 cups||Pasta Sauce|
|8 oz.||Spinach & Cheese whole wheat ravioli (fresh or frozen)|
|1/2 cup||Cannellini beans, canned, drained, rinsed (about 3 ounces)|
|1 cup||Ricotta cheese, fat free or low fat|
|1/2 cup||Liquid cholesterol-free eggs|
|1/4 cup||Mozzarella cheese, shredded, preferably reduced-sodium|
|1/2 tsp.||Garlic powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Onion powder|
|1 tsp.||Italian herb seasoning blend|
|10 oz. pkg.||Chopped Frozen Spinach, thawed, squeezed dry|
|12||Artichoke heart quarters, frozen|
|1 Tbsp.||Dried chopped parsley|
1. In a large skillet, combine pasta sauce and the water. Bring to a low boil. Add ravioli. Cook, covered, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, lightly stirring once to prevent ravioli from sticking to bottom of skillet.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash the beans with a fork or potato masher. Stir in ricotta cheese, eggs, shredded mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
3. Remove lid from skillet and top ravioli mixture with the chopped spinach and 12 pieces of artichoke hearts. Spoon the ricotta mixture on top of spinach and artichokes. Replace cover on skillet and cook mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes more or until ricotta layer is set.
4. Remove from heat, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and paprika and serve.
YIELD: 4 Servings
- · To make Vegan (SV), replace spinach & cheese ravioli with vegan ravioli such as Rising Moon’s Organic Vegan Butternut Squash Ravioli. Replace 1 cup ricotta cheese with 1 cup tofu ricotta. Replace 1/2 cup liquid eggs with 3 tsp. Ener-G or Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer Powder whisked with 4 Tbsp. warm water. Replace dairy mozzarella cheese with 1/4 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese substitute.
- · To make Dairy-free (DF), replace spinach & cheese ravioli with vegan ravioli such as Rising Moon’s Organic Butternut Squash Ravioli. Replace 1 cup ricotta cheese with 1 cup tofu ricotta. Replace dairy mozzarella cheese with 1/4 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese substitute.
- · To make Gluten-free (GF), replace spinach & cheese ravioli with gluten-free ravioli such as Pasta Prima’s Gluten Free Five Cheese Ravioli or Conte’s Spinach & Cheese Ravioli. Check all product labels to make sure no gluten is included in the ingredients.
Per Healthy Swaps Serving: 329 Calories, 7g Fat, 45g Carbohydrates, 20g Protein, 10g Dietary Fiber, 23mg Cholesterol, 822mg Sodium
Per Original Recipe Serving: 465 Calories, 27g Fat, 34 Carbohydrates, 21g Protein, 5g Dietary Fiber, 138mg Cholesterol, 1066mg Sodium