Young, Rubinson avoid jail time in corpse abuse case

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER – Two men who went out for a night of drinking, dining and strippers with a dead friend in the backseat of their car were sentenced Thursday to two years of probation and community service.

Robert Young, 43, and Mark Rubinson, 25, pleaded guilty in January to abuse of a corpse. Young also pleaded guilty to felony identity theft for using the victim’s credit and debit cards.

Each appeared in separate courtrooms Thursday due to their cases being split between District and County court.

Prosecutors say Young and Rubinson found Jeffrey Jarrett, 43, unresponsive at his home in the 1800 block of South Forest Street on August 27, 2011. Instead of calling 911, they placed Jarrett in the backseat of Rubinson’s SUV and went for a ride.

Their first stop was Teddy T’s, a bar and grill on East Evans Avenue at South Monaco, where they used Jarrett’s credit card to pay for drinks.

Later in the evening, they dined at Sam’s No. 3 with Jarrett still in the backseat of the SUV.

Young and Rubinson eventually took Jarrett back home and put him in bed, and then went out for more fun on the town. They dined at Viva Burrito, filled up on gas, and later visited Shotgun Willie’s, a popular strip club on Colorado Boulevard in Glendale. There, police say they withdrew approximately $400 dollars from an ATM, stayed until closing time, and only then told authorities their friend was dead.

Glendale Police visited Jarrett’s home and found him deceased in bed. The coroner later determined he died from a mix of drugs and alcohol.

In addition to probation and dozens of hours of community service, judges also ordered Rubinson and Young to write letters of apology to Jarrett’s family and pay $1,000 in fines.

“I accept full responsibility for what transpired,” Rubinson told the court. “I cannot change the past, but I can write the future.”

Standing before the judge on crutches due to an ankle injury, Young apologized to Jarrett’s family.

“I don’t know what happened that night,” he said. “I wish I could change history, but I can’t.”

Young received 2 years deferred judgment on the identity theft charge.


Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories