Woman hit during chase was listening on radio when suspect rammed her


Stacey Rader spoke live with our Chris Jose, after she fell victim to a carjacking during the chase. She was one of three carjacking victims, all of whom were unhurt. (Photo: Twitter / Joshua Hans)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. -- One of the victims of a wild high-speed chase that lasted two hours and spanned over 100 miles Wednesday morning, was listening on the radio when the suspect rammed into her vehicle in a Douglas County.

Stacey Rader had no idea her car was the last one the suspect, who has since been identified as Ryan Stone, would ram before his path of terror inside a vehicle finally came to an end.

Rader was driving westbound on Lincoln Avenue around 8 a.m. Wednesday, listening to the news about an Amber Alert-turned-high speed chase on the radio and thinking to herself "I'm glad I'm not on I-25 right now because it sounds like that's where (the chase) is."

It turns out she was actually about to become a part of it.

Rader said she was crossing South Peoria Street on Lincoln when she was rammed by the man police believe to be Stone, who was in the third of three carjacked vehicles at the time.

Rader got out of her car thinking nothing of it -- other than she had just been in an accident.

"I had no idea this was related (to the chase)," Rader said. "I happened to see a lot of police men running on foot after it happened. I thought maybe it was a hit and run, and I was just lucky the police happened to be there.

"Then the police told me it was actually the high-speed chase suspect who hit me. That's when I couldn't believe my luck."

SLIDESHOW: Man leads police on hours-long chase

As much as Rader meant she couldn't believe her bad luck for having been involved in the chase's path of destruction, she also meant she couldn't believe her luck that she wasn't injured.

“I’m really, really thankful I’m standing here talking to you," Rader told our Chris Jose. "I could have been in the hospital, it could have been a lot worse. My car’s not doing to well, but that’s minimal really in the big picture.”

Thankfully, there were no fatalities stemming from the incident, and only one person, Colorado State Patrol trooper Bellamann Hee, was injured during the chase. Hee suffered serious injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery.

None of the three carjacking victims were hurt. That includes 4-year-old Allen Chavarria-Rodriquez, who was in the first vehicle Stone allegedly stole from a gas station in Longmont.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories