A dog consuming weed is more common than you may think. Unfortunately, in some instances, if marijuana is not stored safely away from the reach of pets, it can become a health risk or even fatal for those pets who like to eat everything they find. Because of this, it’s important to know how to tell if your dog ate weed and what to do if that situation occurs.

Dr. Kerri Nelson, medical director for VEG in Denver shares the type of danger if our pets consumes cannabis.

Determine the type of marijuana consumed by your dog. *Some forms of weed are more dangerous than others

·         Marijuana Buds

·         Marijuana Leaves 

·         Consider Other Ingredients (i.e. chocolate in pot brownies, xylitol in gummies)

Watch for symptoms of weed toxicity in dogs including, but may not be limited to:

  • Loss of coordination 
  • Inability to control urine
  • Vomiting
  • Dilated pupils
  • Low or high body temperature
  • irregular heart rate 
  • Depression or hyperesthesia, and in severe cases seizures

Do I need to go to the vet and what should I expect?

  • ALL dogs that have ingested marijuana need to have their vitals evaluated by a vet. If your primary veterinarian is unavailable, you need to take your dog to the emergency vet immediately.