LAKEWOOD, Colo. — One person is in critical condition and another person was treated for unknown injuries after an early-morning fire at a Lakewood home Wednesday morning.
West Metro Fire responded to the fire about 1:30 a.m. at 12164 W. Exposition Drive. One person escaped the flames and had a neighbor call 911 and the second person was inside when firefighters arrived and had to be rescued.
Both were transported to St. Anthony Hospital, where a man remains in critical condition. A female victim was treated and released.
Investigators say the family was burning leaves and other materials in an outside incinerator that was built into the side of the home on Tuesday. The fire rekindled during the night, sparking the fire.
Investigators say there was extensive fire and smoke damage to the home, making it uninhabitable, and added there were no smoke alarms in the home.