Speedy the goat saves Arkansas family from fire

Trending
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

POINSETT COUNTY, Ark. — Don’t let this little goat fool you. Speedy — the loud family pet — is now being hailed a hero.

“I was in the living room sleeping,” Abigail Bruce said.

The 10-year-old said her sleep was interrupted Saturday night by Speedy. The goat was jumping on her legs and then her chest. He wasn’t giving up until his message got across.

“I was thinking ‘What’s happening?’ And all I seen was smoke,” she said.

Abigail jumped off the couch and barged into her parents’ room.

“I woke up to Abigail running into the room saying it was smokey and she could barely breathe,” her father Nick Bruce said.

He soon realized the garage was engulfed in flames.

“The fire was already starting to come through the windows,” he said.

The family jumped out the bedroom window and onto the front lawn unscathed.

The fire department arrived minutes later. They were able to get the flames out, but the smoke and soot damaged everything inside.

The family said it could have been worse if it weren’t for Speedy.

“He knew what to do and everything,” Abigail said.

Speedy joined the family only two days before the home caught fire. The goat was an early birthday gift for Abigail.

“I didn’t approve of him at first, but he’ll be there from now on,” Bruce said.

Speedy isn’t your normal pet, but Abigail knew that all along.

“I think he was special before we got him,” she said.

Officials said the cause of the fire was electrical.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories