4-year-old Minnesota boy dies after accidentally hanging himself in changing room

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MANKATO, Minn. — A 4-year-old Minnesota boy died in a tragic changing room accident on Saturday.

KMSP reports police responded to the Again Thrift store around 5:30 p.m. Saturday. The boy was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead from an accidental strangulation.

The boy’s hoodie became stuck on a coat hanger attached to the wall and he suffocated, WCCO reported.

“It appears at this time that he went into a changing room by himself, was gone for only a short period of time without direct supervision and ended up getting his hoodie stuck on a coat hanger and suffocated as a result of that,” Jeremy Clifton of the Mankato Department of Public Safety told KEYC-TV.

The incident remains under investigation, but police do not suspect foul play.

On a GoFundMe page, the family identified the boy as Ryu Pena. The family is asking for donations to help with funeral costs.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories