DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014.
1. Seven-hour standoff ends with two dead
A kidnapping suspect and a juvenile were found dead in the Weld County town of Keenesburg after a seven-hour standoff Monday night into Tuesday morning.
2. I-25 widening project to begin in Douglas County
A two-year project to add one lane in both directions of Interstate 25 between Lincoln Avenue and County Line Road in Douglas County begins Tuesday.
3. Heroin use in Colorado skyrockets
In the past five years the number of heroin users has doubled in Colorado and across the country. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, about 5 percent of Colorado’s population abuses prescription painkillers.
4. Police: 14-year-old shot by neighbor’s mother during altercation
Police say a 14-year-old girl was shot in east Denver by her neighbor’s mother. The teen was shot in the upper arm with a pistol in a situation she says was unprovoked.
5. Polis gives in, announces compromise on oil, gas control
Rep. Jared Polis, D-Boulder, reached an agreement to stand down on two ballot measures that would have allowed far greater local control of Colorado’s oil and gas industry and allow a broader stakeholder process to take place.
6. 3-year-old Pueblo girl shot by 5-year-old playing with gun
A 3-year-old girl was shot in the chest by a 5-year-old in Pueblo, leaving her in critical condition. Police say a 9-year-old boy picked up a handgun that was in a home and took it into the backyard, where he gave it to a 5-year-old, who pointed it at the victim and pulled the trigger.
7. Search underway for puppy stolen during pet adoption event
An animal rescue organization is looking for a puppy they believe was stolen during a weekend pet adoption event in Fort Collins. Rescue staff say they think a teenager who tried to adopt the puppy took it from the event.
8. Water pipe work discouraging to businesses in West Highlands
Denver Water is working on the pipes from 27th to 32nd avenues between Lowell Boulevard and Vrain Street, which has been discouraging to businesses.
9. Lakewood P.F. Chang’s affected by security breach
Thirty-three P.F. Chang’s China Bistro restaurants, including one in Lakewood, were affected by a data security breach.
10. Awesome kid steals the show during interview
While at a fair in Pennsylvania, a TV reporter had an interview overtaken by an adorable boy.