DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Friday, June 20, 2014.
1. Inmate escapes in Wheat Ridge
An inmate being transported from Las Vegas to Illinois escaped in Wheat Ridge, and officers are on the lookout for him.
2. Three shot at Red Rocks
Three people were shot after a rap concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater, and the gunman is still on the loose. The famed venue was put on lockdown as Jefferson County Sheriff’s deputies investigated.
3. Search continues at site of home explosion
Crews will return to Thornton as they search for a missing person believed to be in the rubble of a home that exploded Thursday.
4. Two charged with kidnapping, sexual assault of woman taken from Denver bus stop
Two men were arrested and charged last week for the kidnapping and sexual assault of a woman who was waiting for a bus in downtown Denver, then was dropped off in Glenwood Canyon hours later.
5. Colorado pilot killed in Utah plane crash
Miles Reece of Bayfield, Colo., was killed when the fixed-wing single-engine 175 Cessna he was piloting crashed into a mountainside in San Juan County, Utah.
6. Second-grader starts fundraiser for playground
A second-grader saw the playground at an Erie elementary school and wanted to help replace it, so he emptied his piggy bank, then the family began a Go Fund Me page that has raised more than $200.
7. Pope just says no to legalizing recreational drugs
Pope Francis spoke out against legalizing recreational drugs, saying, “Drug addiction is an evil, and with evil there can be no yielding or compromise.”
8. Beauprez dominating airwaves as primary voting wraps up
Over the final weekend of voting in Colorado’s gubernatorial candidate, Bob Beauprez will be hitting the radio airwaves with a new 60-second ad offering a promise to respect people’s individual freedoms.
9. Vet fires back over ‘no ice water for dogs’ blog post
A veterinarian fired back at a blog post saying ice water is not good for dogs.
10. ‘Sexy criminal’ mugshot goes viral
A mugshot of a man arrested on a gun charge has gone viral on Facebook with people commenting on how attractive the suspect looks.