DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Wednesday July 23, 2014.
1. Bowlen relinquishes control of Broncos
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen relinquished control of the Broncos as he battles Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Bowlen has tough fight ahead with Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that leads to memory loss and is a disease that is very difficult to battle.
3. Apartment partially collapses in early-morning fire
An early-morning fire in northeast Denver resulted in an apartment building partially collapsing.
4. Denver to pay $3.25 million to settle inmate abuse suit
The city of Denver is proposing a settlement of $3.25 million in the case of a former jail inmate who claims he was abused by police and other prisoners, and that officials subsequently covered up the attacks.
5. 44 animals rescued from home in Longmont
An 83-year-old in Longmont could face criminal charges for keeping nearly 50 animals in the small home. Longmont police and animal control officers removed 44 cats and dogs from the home.
6. Federal judge could rule on Colorado’s same-sex marriage ban
A federal judge is expected to rule soon on a lawsuit asking for Colorado’s ban on same-sex marriage to be overturned in an effort to protect equal rights.
7. Holmes trial to start Dec. 8
Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes will go on trial Dec. 8, even though his defense team asked the judge for another delay. The judge says both sides have had plenty of time and he expects them to be ready for trial.
8. Parker residents fight plan for new power lines in their neighborhood
Residents in a Parker neighborhood protested power line plans. They’re fighting a proposal to build new towers in their area.
9. Two appeals courts hand down conflicting Obamacare rulings; Colorado exempted
Two appeals courts reached differing decisions on Obamacare subsidies, meaning a likely Supreme Court case on the key component of the health care law.
10. Grandmother records couple having sex on public beach
A Florida couple was arrested after a grandmother spotted them having sex on a public beach — and then recorded it on her cellphone as evidence.