DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Tuesday, June 24, 2014.
1. Woman, dog escape Aurora house fire
A woman and her dog escaped their home after it caught fire in the early-morning hours. No cause has been determined.
2. Denver allocates $2 million for more officers
The Denver City Council approved a plan to spend $2 million to put extra officers on the street, mostly in the Ballpark neighborhood and LoDo.
3. Primary day across state
Tuesday is Primary Election Day, with races across the state, including the choosing of a Republican nominee to run against Gov. John Hickenlooper in November.
4. FBI recovers 18 juveniles believed to be victims of sex trafficking
Some 18 juveniles believed to be victims of commercial child sex trafficking have been recovered in Denver as part of a nationwide crackdown.
5. Driver slams into parked cars, residents say they got 911 recording
A driver slammed into several parked cars, but when residents called 911, they said they got a recording. Denver officials first said calls never go to a recording, but later admitted sometimes that in fact, it does happen.
6. Centennial apartment fire might be work of arson
The Centennial apartment fire that injured eight people and caused residents to use sheets to escape the flames might be arson.
7. Bike to Work Day expected to draw thousands
Up to 30,000 people, including Gov. John Hickenlooper and Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, are expected to take part in the annual Bike to Work Day on Wednesday.
8. Golden might expand smoking ban
The Golden City Council is looking to expand the cigarette and e-cigarette ban, possibly adding all parks and trails, as well as the main corridor along Washington Avenue.
9. Lightning strike blows man out of his shoes
An Atlanta man is lucky to be alive after lightning went right through his foot, actually blowing him out of his shoes.
10. Report says girl asked to leave KFC is hoax
The story of a 3-year-old girl, who had injuries from a pit bull attack, and her family to leave a KFC because her appearance upset other customers reportedly is a hoax.