STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. – A teenage boy helped his mother escape a house fire in northern Colorado early Saturday.
Steamboat Today reports that three residents were able to get out of their home safely after a fire broke out in a basement apartment hallway. The Steamboat Fire Rescue was called to the home at 287 Willett Court at approximately 7 a.m. Saturday.
The paper reported that a 14-year-old boy woke up after the smoke alarm went off and he found flames in the hallway. Chief Mel Stewart said the fire made it impossible for the teen to get to his mother’s bedroom, so he went outside and broke her bedroom window in to wake her up. The boy then helped his mother out of the house through the window, according to police.
“I have to give him a lot of credit,” Stewart told the paper.
The tenant on the upper level was also able to get out of the home safely.
Firefighters put out the flames out quickly, and the damage to the house was contained to the hallway, according to the paper.
Stewart told the paper the tenants will be displaced from the home for about a week.