Search resumes for suspect who led chase in Winter Park; teenage girl arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINTER PARK, Colo. — Highway 40 east of Berthoud Pass was closed for several hours Wednesday as law enforcement searched for a possibly armed man who fled after leading a chase in a stolen vehicle, the Fraser Winter Park Police Department said.

The man was not found and law enforcement resumed the search Thursday, one day after the vehicle he was in spun out and rolled over after law enforcement conducted a PIT maneuver.

Police were contacted by the Broomfield Police Department of the suspects, a man and a 17-year-old girl, who were en route to the Winter Park area. Police were told the suspects had a room at the Vintage Hotel after committing several crimes in the Denver area.

The suspects were in a silver Dodge Neon that was reported stolen out of Colorado Springs with no visible license plates. Police were told the suspects might be armed with a firearm stolen from a law enforcement officer’s vehicle.

Police set up at the hotel to take the suspects into custody when they arrived. About 6:30 p.m., the vehicle was seen coming down Berthoud Pass and went to the hotel.

The suspects then left, and when police and the Colorado State Patrol attempted to make a traffic stop, the vehicle took off eastbound on Highway 40 with officers and troopers in pursuit.

Near mile marker 234 on Highway 40, the CSP executed a PIT maneuver, causing the Neon to spin out and leave the highway. It rolled down an embankment and came to rest on its wheels.

The man and girl fled on foot into a heavily wooded area. The 17-year-old girl from Colorado Springs later surrendered and was taken into custody on a felony warrant out of Westminster for aggravated motor vehicle theft.

She was taken to Middle Park Medical Center to be treated for injuries suffered in the rollover, then released to law enforcement.

Officials conducted an extensive ground search for the man for several hours but did not find him. The search resumed Thursday morning.

Police have not released a photo or description of the man.

[protected-iframe id=”07cafe00c12f4873fd9ae64e3fff01ac-29290497-62452405″ info=”!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d29131.680656259312!2d-105.74759653890176!3d39.872205562883785!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x876a34a8cb4c759f%3A0xbf25a890122f8d5b!2sVintage+Hotel!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1473954326856″ width=”100%” height=”450″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:0″ allowfullscreen=””]

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories