This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AURORA, Colo. — Police in Aurora said Monday the suspect shot and killed by a police officer Friday afternoon was an unarmed 37-year-old man. They said he was wanted for several crimes including cutting off his ankle monitor.

The Arapahoe County Coroner identified the man who was shot as Naeschulus Vinzant.

At a press briefing Monday, Police said they knew almost immediately the suspect was not armed. They did not release much information about the confrontation that led to the shooting.

Officer involved shooting in 16200 block of E. 12th Ave. in Aurora, Colo
Officer involved shooting in 16200 block of E. 12th Ave. in Aurora, Colo

They said the suspect was shot once in the chest and died as a result of the injuries from that gunshot. The officer who shot him was not hurt.

This happened near East 12th Avenue and Lewiston Street, not far from Laredo Elementary School. Officers escorted students around the shooting scene as they walked home from school Friday afternoon. Police Chief Nick Metz said they could have done a better job talking to school officials.

Vinzant has an arrest record dating back to February of 1994. He was most recently arrested in August 2014 in charges related to domestic violence and parole violation.

Here is a timeline of the events Friday afternoon.

The suspect “… was wanted by the Department of Corrections for cutting off his GPS ankle monitor. It was also determined that the subject was wanted by Aurora Police Detectives for assault, robbery, kidnapping, and domestic violence charges,” a statement from Aurora police said. “Due to [his] past violent history, the FAST [Fugitive Apprehension and Surveillance Team] Team requested the assistance of the Aurora SWAT Team to take him into custody.”

“Members of the SWAT Team attempted to take Mr. Vinzant into custody, at which time one shot was fired and Mr. Vinzant was struck once in the chest. On scene SWAT paramedics immediately began life-saving efforts. He was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injury.”

The investigation by the Major Crimes Unit continues.

The statement also says that due to a conflict related to another case, the Arapahoe County District Attorney’s office has asked the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office to review and make recommendation about this shooting once it is turned over by the Major Crimes Unit.