This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The FOX31 Denver Problem Solvers are looking into complaints about a landlord who tenants say is trying to weasel her way out of fixing a potentially dangerous problem.

Erica Beltran has been renting a home in Commerce City for the past three years. Recently, she and her daughter found themselves growing tired and feeling nauseous.

“Me and my daughter went to bed Sunday between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. We didn’t wake up until 3:30 p.m. [the next day]. My neighbor was pounding on my door,” Beltran said.

A visit from Xcel Energy confirmed the furnace inside the home they’ve been renting was producing potentially dangerous carbon monoxide levels.

“They said you can only inhale carbon monoxide at 2.5. We were inhaling 10 PPMs,” she said.

And to make matters worse, there was another discovery.

“[Xcel] says, ‘You’ve got a carbon monoxide detector?’ I said ‘No.’ He says by law five years ago she was supposed to put one in here,” Beltran said.

Over the phone, landlord Trudy Smith said she only knew about the problem for a week. When asked what she was doing to help Beltran, she said, “When you don’t know, you don’t know.” She then hung up the phone.

“There’s no reason those furnaces shouldn’t be up to date,” Beltran said.

After Xcel’s visit, Beltran said Smith stopped by to install a carbon monoxide detector.

“I told her ‘Afterwards?’ I could have died. My daughter and I could have lost our lives,” she said.