DENVER (KDVR) — There are hundreds of unsolved homicide cases, long-term missing person cases, and unidentified remains cases in Colorado where at least three years have passed since the crime happened.
The Colorado cold case task force created a list of those cases dating back to 1970. The Problem Solvers are working to highlight cold cases in our state.
Who murdered Thomas Powell?
The Aurora Police Department and Colorado Bureau of Investigation is working to solve a murder that happened in August of 2007.
The owner of Phat Mart at 1060 S. Sable Blvd. told police that Thomas Powell, 30, left his business and about one minute later, he heard a gunshot.
Police said that Powell ran to 1026 S. Sable Blvd. after he was shot and then he collapsed.
He was taken to Aurora Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his upper torso and later pronounced dead.
During the investigation, police said they found no weapon, witnesses, or a motive for the shooting.
Now nearly 15 years later, Powell’s murder remains unsolved.
If you have any information, please contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867. You can report a tip anonymously and be eligible for a reward up to $2,000.
Since 1981, Metro Denver Crime Stoppers has cleared 5,270 cases and awarded $1,259,150.
Highlighting cold cases in Colorado
Here are some of the other cases we’ve highlighted:
- Cold case: Who murdered Maggie Long 1,651 days ago?
- Cold case: What happened to Mark Bonner 44 years ago?
- Cold case: Who kidnapped Christopher Abeyta 35 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed JonBenét Ramsey 25 years ago?
- Cold case: Who killed Jessica Bejarano 15 years ago
- Cold case: Where is Terri Ackerman?
- Cold case: Who killed Richard Elliott at a grocery store 23 years ago?
- ‘Don’t ever give up hope’: Cold case: Who killed Edward Steinbach?
- Cold Case: Who killed Denise Davenport 37 years ago?
- Cold case: Who murdered James O’Neal Johnson 23 years ago?
- Cold case: Where is Jennifer Lynn Marcum?
- 18 people remain unidentified in Denver since 1970
If you ever have a cold case you would like us to feature, please fill out this form or send an email to email@example.com :
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System shows there are currently 21,556 open missing persons cases in the United States and over 300 in Colorado.