Student arrested for aggravated robbery after lockdown at East High School

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — Denver Police responded to reports of a person with a gun near East High School Thursday, cleared the school of any danger as of 3:30 p.m. and arrested a student for aggravated robbery a short time later.

The school was on lockdown for much of the afternoon, Denver Public Schools confirmed, but police said there were no reports of shots fired or injuries.

Worried students grabbed cell phones as armed swat teams searched their school halls for an alleged gunman.

“They just said, ‘this is a security incident please lock your doors,” said one student.

Instead all SWAT teams found were students hiding and afraid.

“When the SWAT team came it was really scary because they were banging on door hard,” said Bernice Taylor, a student.

Max Kelley was on the first floor of east high school when students came running.

“They came running back-in screaming and they said there was someone with a gun running around,” Kelley said.

Within minutes East High School went on lockdown.

“It freaked me out so we did our procedure so we locked the door and we went up against the wall,” Kelley said.

Kelly, his teacher and his fellow students jumped out of a first floor window. They passed arriving police and worried parents.  If parents wanted answers they didn’t get them for almost two hours.

Police finally said one student used a fake gun to rob another, prompting the panic.

That suspected student has been identified by Denver Police as Elhadji Samba Dioum, who turned 19 on the day he was arrested for investigation of aggravated robbery.

A short time after the lockdown was lifted, Denver Police confirmed two students had been detained, and one had been arrested for aggravated robbery. Police reported the news as part of their ongoing coverage of the incident at East High School.

All after school activities have been cancelled at East High School, including a boys basketball game.

The lockdown started around 2 p.m. Thursday and lasted until around 3:45 p.m.


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories