Nashua, New Hampshire, closes schools after threat of violence

National/World News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NASHUA, N.H. — All public schools in Nashua, New Hampshire, will be closed Monday after the district received a “detailed threat of violence” directed at its two high schools.

Officials don’t know how credible the threat is. But given its specificity and the fact that it extends to more than one school, school district Superintendent Mark Conrad asked all students to stay home out of an abundance of caution.

The Nashua School District includes 12 elementary schools, three middle schools and two high schools.

“We have received a detailed threat of violence to harm students and staff at both high schools,” Conrad said.

“Because the threat is specific and extends to several schools, we will be cautious and close all of our public schools in Nashua tomorrow, Monday, December 21st.”

Classes will resume Tuesday.

Nashua police said a school administrator received an email with the threat. The department would not go into details.

“It’s definitely a tight rope,” Nashua police Lt. Kerry Baxter told reporters. “It’s a tough decision to make. These seem to going on throughout the country. They seem to be happening more frequently, and they are disruptive on many different levels.”

Last week, the nation’s two biggest school districts received threats.

Los Angeles called off school for day. New York dismissed their threat as a “hoax” and held school.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories