Elderly Texas man, dog die because car doors wouldn’t unlock

National/World News

(Photo: KBMT)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORT ARTHUR, Texas — A Texas man and his dog died after they became trapped inside the man’s car because the doors wouldn’t unlock.

Port Arthur police officials told KBMT that James Rogers, 72, was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia.

The door locks in the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette are completely electric, and officers say it appears the battery cable came loose while the two were inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock.

The fire department was called and it had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT. When firefighters finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead.

Authorities said there is evidence the man struggled to get out of the car before he died.

Officials said his death was likely a result of the heat.

The victim was not able to call for help because he accidentally left his cellphone at a Waffle House.

Corvette experts said there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it. The release is usually located on the left side of the floorboard by the driver and the right side by the passenger. However, many people say the lever is difficult to see.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories