State of emergency declared during second night of protests in Charlotte

National/World News

Protest in Charlotte. September 21, 2016

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Violent protests raged in Charlotte for the second night over the police shooting of an African-American man, prompting North Carolina's governor to declare a state of emergency.

One person was on life support after being shot Wednesday night by another civilian during the unrest, the city tweeted. Earlier, the city had said that person had died.

At least four officers suffered injuries not considered life-threatening during Wednesday night's protests, according to police.

Gov. Pat McCrory said he would deploy the state National Guard and Highway Patrol to Charlotte, North Carolina's largest city.

"We cannot tolerate violence. We cannot tolerate the destruction of property and will not tolerate the attacks against our police officers that is occurring right now," McCrory said Wednesday night.

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts said she would consider options such as a curfew if the protests continue. The Charlotte case is the latest in a series of controversial shootings of black men by police.

'It was madness'

What started off as peaceful descended into chaos Wednesday night, with some protesters overturning trash cans and setting the contents on fire.

Onlookers cheered as a masked man shattered a hotel window while another one hurled rocks through it. Others spray-painted "Black Lives Matter" on business windows and smashed car windows.

"I was right in the thick of it," witness Zach Locke said. "People found whatever objects they could to break glasses. It was madness."

Some stores were looted, including the Charlotte Hornets' NBA store, local media reported.

Freelance photographer Marcus DiPaola said he saw some people knock over an ATM and grab money from it.

The Hyatt House Hotel in downtown went into lockdown as protesters tossed bricks through the window. A valet and front desk attendant were punched in the face by protesters, hotel manager Matt Allen said.

Not all the protests were violent.

Witnesses who attended demonstrations earlier Wednesday evening said they were largely peaceful, but the tone changed markedly throughout the night.

Kristine Slade, 19, a University of North Carolina at Charlotte student, joined the protests Tuesday night, kneeling in front of a police line with her hands up in the air.

She said she felt like she had to protest, because "if nobody else is going to do it, then we're still going to be in the same position."

But she became increasingly worried Wednesday night as she saw rocks being thrown, fires being set and acts of vandalism.

"It hurts us to see that these buildings are being vandalized and damaged because of the anger and outrage of other citizens when there are clearly other ways to get our point across," Slade said.

She said she left early when police began efforts to disperse the crowd.

Protesters started to break up after police fired tear gas before 11 p.m. EDT



Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories