New York man’s iPhone explodes in pocket

National/World News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

NEW YORK --   Your smartphone may be harmful to your health.

A New York man is recovering after he says his i-phone exploded in his pocket.

Erik Johnson says the smartphone was in his pocket on Valentine’s Day, when it spontaneously exploded.

He said he was bending down to get his keys when he heard his iPhone pop and sizzle- giving him second and third-degree burns.

"I bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop and after a little… sssssh… smoke coming out, and just like an instant burn, my leg just starts going on fire, try to get it out, can't get it out. I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but  I had dress pants on, I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn't get into it and I had to rip my pants off. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning." said Erik Johnson.

Experts say using third-party charging cables can cause the battery to overheat and spew lithium lava.

Apple is looking into Johnson’s claims and hopes to have an answer in the coming weeks.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories