AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners is investigating the death of a 14-month-old girl who died after a dental visit.
It’s not clear exactly what happened to Daisy Lynn, but a family member tells KXAN that she was getting cavities filled at Austin Children’s Dentistry on Tuesday.
Austin Children’s Dentistry spokeswoman Sarah Marshall would not confirm the procedure but described it as “standard” procedure. After the procedure, the child was transferred to a hospital for additional medical attention. She died five hours later.
The child’s cause of death is pending the outcome of an autopsy.
“Everybody’s thoughts and feelings are concerned about the family at this point,” Marshall said. “We don’t have any additional information about what specifically has happened. We’re waiting on those details.”
Daisy Lynn’s aunt Jessica Casaneda said she was “a happy, healthy baby” and “full of life.”
A friend started a YouCaring fundraising site for the child’s mother. She wrote:
“Daisy Lynn Torres went in this morning for a routine cavity filling and under the advice of the dentist was put under anesthesia, when the unthinkable happened. Daisy quit breathing and was rushed by ambulance to a local hospital where despite efforts by the hospital staff, she passed away this morning. This was completely unexpected and has shattered this families world. Daisys mom, Betty would give anyone in need her last dollar and has been my best friend since the 6th grade. My heart is broken for her and my second family.”