HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is warning parents to be on the lookout for a rare polio-like condition that affects children.
The health agency says it is preparing for a possible outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, a life threatening condition that affects the nervous system.
The CDC says cases tend to spike every two years.
The most common symptoms are sudden limb weakness, respiratory illness and fever.
AFM can lead to permanent disability.
Latest stories on KHON2
- Broncos Gameday: Share your fan pride
- 1 dead after 3 people shot in Denver
- Feels like Fall: Cooler, breezy with highs in 60s Sunday
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- ‘Hold your children close and love them,’ loved ones gather to bury and celebrate life of Gannon Stauch