Mother of slain baby charged with first-degree murder


(Photo: Denver Police Department)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER — The mother of a 2-month-old who died after being beaten was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

Kelsy Newell-Skinner, 21, has four children, all under 5. According to her arrest affidavit, police were called to Children’s Hospital in Aurora for a child that had been transferred there from Parker Adventist Hospital.

The baby was brain dead and had multiple injuries including severe bruising on her head, a swollen left eye, fractured ribs and what doctors thought was a bite mark on her left thigh.

Newell-Skinner claimed that she got drunk on Thursday -- the night the infant was beaten -- and woke up the next morning not remembering what happened, her arrest affidavit said.

The affidavit said Newell-Skinner texted her ex-boyfriend around noon on Sunday asking him to come to the apartment.

The ex-boyfriend is the father of three of her children.

One of the text messages to the ex-boyfriend indicated that “she must have been very drunk last night because she just woke up and the baby had been beaten,” according to the affidavit.

Newell-Skinner texted that she “did not even remember last night and she felt horrible” and that “the baby’s head was banged up and her eyes were bruised and swollen shut.”

The ex-boyfriend said he arrived at the apartment on East Hampden Avenue and was told by Newell-Skinner that the baby had been beaten, but she did not say by whom.

Later that day, Newell-Skinner’s mother arrived at the apartment. The mother saw the injuries and took the baby to Parker Adventist Hospital.

Newell-Skinner ran from her apartment at that point, the affidavit said.

The baby’s father told police that he had last seen his daughter on Saturday evening before he left for work.

According to the affidavit, the father said he got into an argument with Newell-Skinner and decided to stay at his mother’s home for the night.

He told police he got a text message from Newell-Skinner around 4 p.m. Sunday saying she was going to jail, the affidavit said.

He said he later learned about the child’s injuries.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories