Man says cellphone charger burst into flames, caused damage to condo

News

Cell phone charger fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER -- The last thing Denver resident Charles Burnett thought would happen when he charged his cellphone is his condominium would burn down.

“The flames were probably a foot high," he said.

But according to Burnett, it almost did.

“Pretty scary, I mean I’ve never had any product spontaneously combust on me before," he said.

Burnett said it’s because of the portable phone charger called Trianium by Ultraproof.

“I bought it on Amazon and I believe it was $49.99," he said.

He has owned and used the charger a little more than three months and it worked fine until Saturday.

“Plugged my phone in with the case to charge like I always do. After about a couple minutes it started smoking and then all of a sudden it just burst into flames," he said.

He scooped up the burning, smoking heap of melting plastic and wires and tossed it on the floor to avoid burning his desk and computer. His carpet burned instead.

“I did call a carpet company," he said.

Estimated repairs were around $5,500. Trianium said, sorry, it’s not its fault. Burnett read its response from his PC.

“Under no circumstances shall Ultraproof or its affiliates be liable to you or any third party," it read.

Lesson learned?

“Don’t buy these battery cases,” Burnett said.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories