This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOULDER, Colo. — A man armed with a machete and fatally shot in a stairwell on the University of Colorado campus Wednesday morning was not a student at the school, officials said.

A source close to the investigation confirmed that new detail Wednesday evening. The Boulder Police Department also said it had not dealt with the man before.

The incident happened inside the athletic department’s Champions Center on the north side of Folsom Field, according to the University of Colorado Police Department.

The incident started in the parking lot of the Champions Center about 9:15 a.m. when there was an altercation between two people. It’s not known how the two knew each other.

One of the people involved brandished a machete and was menacing with it, police spokesman Scott Pribble said at a late-morning news conference.

A source close to the investigation also confirms the man was spotted in the parking lot writing religious messages on several vehicles.

At some point, the situation moved inside the Champions Center and several 911 calls were made. Campus police and officers from the Boulder Police Department tracked down the man.

There was dialogue between officers and the suspect to put down the machete and he did not comply.

“Given the weapon the suspect was armed with, given the statements made by our victim and given the nature of how he was maneuvering through the Champions Center, we believed it was a deadly force situation,” campus police chief Melissa Zak said.

“He was not following commands,” Pribble said. “At some point, we had to limit the situation so the threat was no longer there.”

Pribble said the investigation has been handed over to the Boulder County Critical Incident Team because it’s an officer-involved shooting.

The university’s police department sent an emergency alert to students and staff warning them of the incident and to “take appropriate protective action.” The all-clear was given at 9:40 a.m.

There were no other injuries reported. The name and age of the suspect have not been released.

[protected-iframe id=”9494b6e2889bbf369bc28ff44b013e07-29290497-62452405″ info=”!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d41121.558598091935!2d-105.29854925844357!3d40.000000542883285!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x876bec32d4b0e9e7%3A0xe2dc2e65341aa23b!2sChampions+Center!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1475681673356″ width=”100%” height=”450″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border:0″ allowfullscreen=””]