Longmont man arrested, accused of kidnapping Connecticut girl

Timothy Wind

Timothy Wind

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LONGMONT, Colo. — A 14-year-old Connecticut girl has been found safe in Longmont, two weeks after she went missing.

Police say officers found the girl in an apartment in Longmont and arrested 53-year-old Timothy Wind. They say the two met online and Wind likely drove to her home in Connecticut.

It’s unclear, though, if she came to Colorado with him willingly or was forced.

With the help of the FBI, officers arrested Wind on Wednesday afternoon and charged him with kidnapping and Internet exploitation. The girl is well and will soon be reunited with her family.

On Wednesday, a police officer went to the suspect’s Birch Court apartment to investigate an FBI report that the kidnap victim might be with Wind, according to an arrest affidavit. Upon arriving, the officer heard a television inside but no one responded to knocks at the door.

The officer called the suspect at work and told him he was investigating a disturbance and wanted to know who was in the apartment. Wind allegedly told the officer a female acquaintance was staying with him, and that he would call her to make sure she was OK. When Wind reportedly failed to call the officer back, the officer contacted him again and asked for the female’s phone number.

The officer called the female, who didn’t answer. The officer called a second time with his number blocked, and a female answered. The officer identified himself and asked her to open the door, the affidavit states.

She did so, and the officer judged that she was the missing teen, according to the affidavit. She was taken to a police station.

The officer noted that the apartment had two bedrooms, but one appeared to be an exercise room with no place to sleep.

Two days ago, the Hartford community gathered for a candlelight vigil to pray for the girl’s safe return.

“Her whole family loves her and we want her back,” said the victim’s mother. “And if there’s any problem that she’s going through, there’s nothing that we can’t as a family solve and over come together.”

Since her Aug. 25 disappearance, Hartford police sent an alert for the victim but said there was no evidence she left against her will.

Her parents said their daughter asked for street names surrounding their home before she went missing but still believe someone lured her away.

“We think she was giving someone directions to look for her, to find her, to pick her up, so she was lured out of the home I believe with someone she may have met online,” the victim’s mother said. “That forced her to leaving with him.”


Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories