CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The husband of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County mother who was reported missing on Mother’s Day weekend of 2020, has been arrested.
Barry Morphew faces charges of first-degree murder, tampering with evidence, and attempting to influence a public servant.
Suzanne Morphew, 49, was reported missing on May 10, 2020 – Mother’s Day. And the process of the investigation in the days and months following Morphew’s disappearance has been carefully protected by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, which is the lead agency on the case.
Since that time, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has worked closely and tirelessly with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the 11th Judicial District in an intensive investigation to find Morphew.
Over the last year, there have been numerous searches – by police, the public and a dive team – and hundreds of tips reported in this case, according to the sheriff’s office.
Barry Morphew was arrested around 9:15 a.m. near his home, according to investigators. He was alone at the time and was taken into custody without incident.
FOX31 obtained video of the arrest and has confirmed its veracity with investigators.
Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said 70 investigators worked thousands of hours over the past year. More than 135 search warrants were conducted across Colorado, 400 people were interviewed across multiple states and more than 1,400 tips were investigated.
Spezze said his department presented its investigation to the DA’s office in early April and in the month since the DA’s office made the decision to move forward.
“Today is a good day. A good day for all the men and women of law enforcement that have worked toward getting here,” 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley said.
The DA said Suzanne’s body has not been found and the affidavit for this case is sealed.
Barry Morphew is currently being held at the Chaffee County Jail. He is set to appear in front of a judge with his lawyer tomorrow morning.
Spezze said there are not expected to be any other arrests in this case.
Previous stories from the investigation:
- Chaffee County Sheriff says ‘no remains found in the Suzanne Morphew case’
- ‘I want to bring her back home’: Hundreds join search for Suzanne Morphew Thursday
- Chaffee County sheriff: No new leads following searches of 3 properties
- Suzanne Morphew’s brother provides update on search
- ‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property
- ‘Profiling Evil’ team helps enlist volunteers to find Suzanne Morphew
- ‘That has nothing to do with Suzanne missing’; Barry Morphew responds to explosive claims regarding disappearance of wife
- Suzanne Morphew’s husband left Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, littered with insurance letters, co-worker claims
This is a breaking news story. FOX31 has multiple reporters gathering more information and this story will be updated throughout the day. Please check back for updates.