DENVER (KDVR) — A man who allegedly shot and killed three people and injured another in Custer County, south of Colorado Springs, was arrested Tuesday afternoon.

According to the Custer County Sheriff’s Office, Hanme K. Clark was taken into custody by the U.S. Marshalls and New Mexico State Police near Albuquerque, where he awaits extradition to Colorado.

Clark, 45, was driving a white truck police were searching for and investigators said there was a female passenger in the vehicle with him.

According to the sheriff’s office, the victims were shot over what they believe was a dispute between neighbors over easement lines.

At around 2:30 p.m. Monday, a shelter-in-place was issued for the area of Rocky Ridge Road in Westcliffe while police investigated the shooting. The small rural community only has a population of 435 people.

The sheriff’s office identified the suspect as Clark. He allegedly shot four people. The two male and female victims are identified as 63-year-old Rob Geers; his wife, 73-year-old Beth Wade; and 58-year-old James Daulton. An additional female victim was critically injured.

Deputies believe Clark knew at least one of the victims.

Law enforcement had been searching for Clark in a white Ram 1500 pickup truck with the license plate BHL-K27. According to deputies, the truck was last seen in Chaffee County, which is about 96 miles away from Custer County.

During a press conference Tuesday, Custer County Sheriff Rich Smith laid out the timeline of Monday’s events:

  • 12:59 p.m.: 911 call about shooting is received
  • 1:01 p.m.: Deputies dispatched to the scene
  • 1:21 p.m.: Two deputies arrive at the scene with the coroner and deputy coroner

Smith said the reason it took 22 minutes for deputies to arrive is because this occurred in a rural area of the county — a wooded area along a gravel road.

Deputies from Custer County searched the area until 8 p.m. for Clark, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Colorado Parks and Wildlife and other agencies. Once the area was cleared, the shelter-in-place order was lifted. Smith said it is now believed that Clark left the area before the first deputies arrived.

Because of the darkness in this area, the sheriff said the crime scene was held overnight so that investigators could examine it in daylight Tuesday.