Colorado resettlement groups planning for 1,000 to 2,000 Afghan refugees

Local News

AURORA, Colo. (KDVR) — More than 860 Afghan refugees will call Colorado home, and Congressman Jason Crow and other groups outlined the available resources in the Denver metro area on Monday.

The Colorado Refugee Services Program, the Office of New Americans and Congressman Crow’s office provided an update on the evacuation, estimated time of arrival for refugees, and programs and resources.

Since 1980, Colorado has settled more than 60,000 refugees. According to the Colorado Refugee Services Program, Afghanis account for the largest group over the past five years.

Groups are bracing for anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 refugees to resettle in Colorado, despite the White House estimation of 865, based on historical resettlement data in our state.

Resettlement groups believe 90% of that resettled population will establish roots in the Denver metro, with the other 10% concentrated in Colorado Springs.

You can watch the full event on FOX31 NOW in the player above.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories