DENVER (KDVR) — Police were led on a high-speed chase just after 5 a.m. Saturday morning near Denver International Airport, that left one officer hospitalized, one suspect dead and another in custody.

According to the Denver Police Department, a robbery allegedly occurred at about 2 a.m. on Saturday at an Aurora 7-11 convenience store, located at Colfax Avenue and Sable Boulevard.

At roughly 5:30 a.m., officers with the Aurora Police Department saw the small black SUV that was believed to be connected to the robbery near the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Chambers Road. Once officers attempted to make contact with the suspect, the vehicle fled.

APD said that the suspect led them on a chase for roughly 12 miles before officers attempted a force-stop method on the 7400 block of Gun Club Road. The driver of the fleeing car lost control and crashed and its two occupants fled.

According to DPD, the driver was armed with a long gun and allegedly threatened officers. This led to three officers opening fire on the suspect, which struck him “multiple times.” He was declared dead at the scene.

The other suspect fled the scene but was taken into custody a short time later. According to the APD, he has since been questioned by officials and released from custody.

According to DPD, there were eight officers involved in this pursuit. One Aurora officer was transported by ambulance, but Aurora’s Interim Police Chief said they are in good condition. On Sunday, he was released from the hospital and is now resting back at home.

The investigation is being conducted by Denver, Colorado Bureau of Investigation and Colorado State Patrol.

Aurora and Denver police officers were on the scene with a large presence in the shooting area at 75th Avenue and Gun Club Road for several hours, which is a busy intersection near the main artery roads going into DIA.

Denver International Airport authorities are reporting the E/B exit ramp from Pena Boulevard to Gun Club (cell phone lot) is closed. Additionally, the S/B Gun Club is closed at 77th Avenue.

The Pikes Peak Shuttle Lot is currently closed due to police activity. Incoming drivers will be directed to the Economy lot.

FOX31 will bring you updates as the investigation unfolds.