Armed suspect killed in officer-involved shooting at 11th Avenue and Lincoln Street


Video credit: Steven Biesenberger Jr.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER -- An armed suspect was killed in an officer-involved shooting a few blocks south of the state Capitol on Monday morning, the Denver Police Department said.

Police responded to several calls of the suspect firing shots on Lincoln Street between East Eighth and East 10th avenues about 7:10 a.m.

When officers arrived, they confronted the suspect, who was armed with a handgun. One officer opened fire.

Police Chief Paul Pazen said the suspect was later pronounced dead. No officers were injured, police said.

The officer who shot the suspect was placed on administrative leave, per department policy.

Steven Biesenberger shot footage from the seventh floor of a nearby office building.

Data pix.

It shows an officer and the suspect with their weapons drawn. Police said the officer shown in the video does not work for the department.

RTD said Tuesday the man seen following the suspect in the video was one of its officers.

The officer's name is not being released. He has been with RTD for more than three years. He also has 33 years of sworn service experience.

According to RTD, the officer has voluntarily taken time off.

A witness said a man in a black trench coat and black hat was walking down the middle of Lincoln Street waving what appeared to be a gun at officers.

The witness said the man appeared to be distraught as officers followed him down the street.

The scene played out as people were heading into work and many people saw the suspect walking down the street with the gun.

"It was very scary," said Gabriela Flores, who was putting up a sidewalk sign in front of City Bakery Cafe. “He was just walking military-style with the gun in his hand."

She watched as officers followed the suspect down Lincoln.

Lisa Hollingshad was walking out to her Dependable Cleaners van near Lincoln and East 10th Avenue when she saw police and the suspect.

"He was right next to my van screaming, 'I’ll shoot, I’ll shoot.' So I turned around really slowly and kind of walked slowly back to the store praying, 'Please don’t shoot me in my back,'" she said.

Lincoln was closed between East 8th and East 12th avenues, where there was a large police presence, for several hours. It reopened just before 5 p.m.

Data pix.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories