Neighbors help save family from house fire in Centennial

Local
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- A neighbor’s quick actions helped save a family from a burning home in Centennial on Sunday morning.

The family inside the home was sound asleep when the fire broke out, but they had no idea they were in danger.

A next-door neighbor knew something wasn’t right when the smell of smoke woke him up.

"It looked like a campfire," said neighbor Matt Huggins before noticing the fire growing.

"I ran in our garage and got a bucket and tried to go over there and get it, but about the third bucket full it turned into an inferno," Huggins said.

Huggins' wife banged on the front door where the Rose family was sound asleep.

"My dad came in and woke me up and said hey there’s a fire and he said to call 911," Matthew Rose said.

"It was very quick from when it was very small. Seemed like it was a very manageable fire to something that took the entire house out," homeowner Jim Rose said.

"The outcome could have been very very different if it hadn’t been for that quick notification, if a neighbor seeing something and doing something about it and then getting our troops on the way in," said Jerry Rhodes with South Metro Fire Rescue.

Investigators believe the fire started near the back porch. In 15 minutes, the blaze was gutting the home, causing the second and portions of the first floor to collapse.

Jim Rose lost nearly everything.

"There’s no way to describe it. It’s just stuff," Jim Rose said. "I mean that’s the phrase that keeps going through my mind.

"Everyone is safe. Everyone is out. Everyone is well and that’s the important part and this will get fixed and we’ll get on with things."

Thanks to a neighbor who knew something wasn’t right.

Fire investigators spent several hours trying to figure what started the fire.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories