Nanny spends 36 hours behind bars after traffic violation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER -- Questions are being raised about why it took more than a day for a woman to get out of jail for a minor traffic violation.

Betsy Bueno's saga started when she was pulled over early Wednesday morning because her headlights were not working.

Little did she know, she’d be arrested and taken to jail.

“I was scared," she said. "I was going to work at the time and I didn’t know what to think.”

It turns out there was a warrant for Bueno’s arrest, but she said she didn’t know it existed.

It started when she was pulled over for a traffic violation several years ago, and didn’t have proof of registration.

She said the fine was $40 and she never paid it.

Bueno said she never received a notice saying a warrant would be issued for her arrest.

That might have been because she moved several times and mail might not have been forwarded.

She was not able to said if a court appearance had been ordered.

It’s not exactly clear why Bueno had to wait for so long.

A traffic attorney said many people are having to wait an unreasonable amount of time to be released from jail for minor violations.

A parent who was waiting at the jail said his daughter also had to wait way too long.

“The Denver Sheriff Department continues to strive for process efficiencies that positively impact the release process for those in its custody and their families," the sheriff department said in a statement.

"Jail release times vary based on a variety of circumstances including conviction history, other jurisdiction clearances, and the volume of releases, which is approximately 100 inmates each day.”

Bueno was released from jail a few hours later.

Editor's note: Betsy Bueno is the baby-sitter for FOX31 anchor Aristea Brady.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories