DENVER (KDVR) — El Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is a holiday to honor, remember and celebrate deceased loved ones in communities throughout Latin America and many places with a Latino population in the United States.
The two-day festival is a time for community to come together with joyful refection, food and family.
Here’s a list of events:
Recuerdos 2021: A Celebration of Community with the Chicano Humanities Arts Council, Colorado Folk Arts Council and MSU Denver Chicana/o Studies Department
- Arvada Library, 525 W 57th Ave
- Dia de Los Muertos Show: Oct. 1-Nov. 6, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Community Celebration: Oct. 29, 5-8 p.m.
- Corky Gonzales Library, 1498 Irving St.
- Calaveras Day: Oct. 16, 2-4 p.m.
- Book release: Oct. 30, 2-4 p.m.
- CHAC Gallery at BreakCreate – Breckenridge
- Dia de Los Muertos Show: Oct. 23. 9 a.m.–9 p.m.
- Pirate Art Gallery & 40 West Arts, 7130 W. 16th Ave. Lakewood
- Dia de Los Muertos Show: Oct. 22-Nov. 7
- Community Art Set up: Oct. 19, 6-8 p.m.
- Community Celebrations: Nov. 5, 5-9 p.m.
- Tribute to Bob Luna: 6 p.m.
- Aurora Fox 9900 E. Colfax Ave.
- Cultural Concerts on Colfax: Nov. 3, Noon-1 p.m.
- Includes Baile Folklórico Muertos Celebration with ArtistiCo and José Rosales & Alfonso (Poncho) Meraza Prudente
“We’re committed to providing opportunities for all to remember and honor their loved ones. What we need to focus on this season is the tremendous effort it took to get through these difficult times and take time now to begin the process of healing,” said Brenda Gurule, executive director of CHAC.
21st Longmont Dia de Los Muertos celebration
- Family Celebration: Downtown Longmont at 4th Avenue and Main Street (Free)
- Family Fiesta, Oct. 9, 2–6 p.m.
- Gigantes Procession follows the Fiesta, 6–6:30 p.m.
- Día de los Muertos Exhibition at the Longmont Museum, 400 Quail Rd. (Free)
- Oct. 9 – Nov. 7, Mon.–Sat. 9 a.m. –5 p.m., Sun. 1 p.m. –5 p.m., additional evening hours Thurs. 5–9 p.m. Oct. 8 – Nov. 5
- Downtown Longmont businesses will will unveil their ofrenda displays (Free)
- Begins Oct. 8
Day of the Dead 5K/10K
- City Park, Oct. 24, 11 a.m., sign up at Colorado Runner Events and Colorado Runner
Fall Festival – Día de los Muertos Brighton
- Oct. 30 10 a.m. Bromley Farm
Thornton Día de los Muertos
- 6th annual Dia de los Muertos/Day of The Dead (Free)
- McAllister Park, 750 W 96th Ave., Nov. 6, 12-5p.m.
- There will be marachis, folkorico dancers, contest of Catrinas, face painting, a mercado, art instillation, an ofreneda and affordable local food trucks.
Dia de los Muertos Exhibit Lakewood Arts Council & Gallery
- Lakewood Arts Council & Gallery, 6715 US-40
- Art Delivery: Oct. 30, 11 a.m-Noon
- Exhibit dates: Oct. 31 through Nov. 19
- Hours: Wed.-Sun. 11 a.m.-5 p.m., First Friday open until 8 p.m.
Dia de los Muertos – Community Celebration
- Denver Art Society, 734 Santa Fe Dr. Oct. 30, 6-9 p.m.
- Help create a beautiful Dia de los Muertos altar, Danza Azteca Ceremonial Dancers, Costume Contest with Prizes, Mask Painting for All, Delicious Snacks & Libations and Live Music y mas!
Dia De Los Muertos at Olinger Highland Mortuary & Cemetery
- Olinger Highland Mortuary & Cemetery,10201 Grant St, Thornton. Oct 30, 9 a.m–3 p.m. (Free)
- Featuring traditional dancers, music, face painting, altar, bouncy house, sugar skull decorating, food trucks and a variety of vendors for all ages.
Día de los Muertos Celebration at the Denver Botanic Gardens
- 10th anniversary of the Denver Botanic Gardens’ celebration of the holiday, 1007 York St., Nov. 6, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Celebrate Day of the Dead with activities, Altars of Remembrance, El Mercado, related events and programs
1st Annual Ofrendas Mercado Shopping Event
- Hijos del Sol, 2715 W 8th Ave., Oct 09, 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
- This shopping event brings the highest quality handmade items for your altar, whether you are beginning new traditions or continuing with older ones
Ofrendas Workshop and Events
- Ofrendas Workshops begin Oct. 6 in partnership with the Latino Cultural Arts Center – various locations
Ofrendas: Documentary Trailer Release
- Ofrendas Documentary tells stories behind Day of the Dead in Denver and across Colorado over the last 50 years
- Online Premiere is Nov. 2
Día de los Muertos Celebration at the Fort Lupton Library
- At the large conference room in the Fort Lupton Library, Oct. 29 from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. .
- The celebration includes Aztec Dance performance by Grupo de Danza Quetzalcoat, learning about Dia de los Muertos traditions, view an altar that honors deceased loved ones and a visit with the Catrina.
Festival Dia De Muertos
- 5th annual Día de Muertos Festival Oct. 30 -Nov 2
- Festival Dia De Muertos 2021 is a community event where every culture, race, or religion is welcome. We invite you to be part of an unforgettable celebration to remember those we lost during COVID -19 and celebrate life.
Do you have an event that didn’t make our list? Share it to our contact form below and we will update our list.