GLENWOOD CANYON, Colo. (KDVR) — An investigation is underway after a 6-year-old girl died on the Haunted Mine Drop ride at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park Sunday.
While many facts aren’t yet known about the child’s death, here’s what we do know:
- The incident happened on the Haunted Mine Drop ride at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park around 7:44 p.m. on Sept. 5
- The victim was a 6-year-old girl from Colorado Springs
- An autopsy is planned for this week with the Garfield County Coroner’s Office forensic pathologist
- The Colorado Department of Labor and Employment said a state investigator will arrive at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park on Tuesday
- The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, Glenwood Springs Fire Department, Garfield County Coroner’s Office, and Hope Center assisted in the response and investigation
- Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park will be closed Monday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 7
- The Haunted Mine Drop ride has a height requirement of 46 inches
We will continue to update this story as we learn more about the details of the incident.
In a statement, the park said:
“On the evening of September 5th a fatality occurred at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. An investigation is ongoing.
“We are deeply saddened and ask that you please keep the family of the deceased in your thoughts and prayers. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park will be closed Monday, September 6 and Tuesday, September 7.”