FedEx truck stolen, crashes after pursuit in Douglas County; suspect in custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CASTLE PINES, Colo. -- Deputies pursued a stolen FedEx truck in Castle Pines on Friday afternoon, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

The truck was stolen in the 2900 block of South Galapago Street in Englewood.

Englewood police said the FedEx delivery driver walked out of The Shootist at 2980 South Galapago Street at 10:55 a.m. and, "He saw a male sitting in the driver's seat of the Fed Ex vehicle, which had the keys inside. After a brief exchange of words, the suspect drove away in the FedEx vehicle," a police statement said.

Douglas County Sheriff Chief Deputy Steven Johnson said the FedEx truck's driver was robbed at knife point. The driver then surrendered the truck.

Alleged FedEx truck theft suspect

Law enforcement was notified and they tracked the vehicle using GPS. Johnson said one law enforcement vehicle was rammed.

Deputies used stop sticks to attempt to slow the vehicle twice; they worked during the second attempt. The vehicle slowed while the driver continued to try to elude authorities.

The truck eventually crashed off northbound Interstate 25 near Castle Rock Parkway.

The suspect took off on foot, but was later captured and taken into custody, the sheriff's office said.

The pursuit lasted more than 20 miles.

“It had been taken from the FedEx driver at knife point," Chief Deputy Steve Johnson with the Douglas County Sheriff's office said.

After the truck was stolen in Englewood, it took GPS, multiple accidents, and disturbances on the highway before authorities caught the guy in Castle Rock.

“In come more officers and more officers, I mean like 20 cars coming in,” a witness said.

The suspect ended up crashing into a field, but not before he zoomed through a neighborhood.

“My first thought was man that guy is going really fast hopefully he’s bringing me my package," a witness said. “Then I realized, hey, that’s not really what’s going on.”

Everyone is OK and the scene cleared early Friday evening.

“Just really, just kind of shook me up,” the witness said.

The investigation is still ongoing.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories