Escapee found guilty of attempted murder of Denver police officer


Mauricio Venzor-Gonzalez

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — A man who escaped from police custody while being transferred to Denver Health Medical Center was found guilty Monday of attempted murder of a Denver officer, the Denver District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.

Mauricio Venzor-Gonzalez, 24, was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder for firing several gunshots at an officer, first-degree assault on a peace officer, retaliation against a witness and two counts of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.

In November 2017, officers attempted a traffic stop near West Alameda Avenue and South Stuart Street. Venzor-Gonzalez was a passenger in the vehicle.

Prosecutors said the driver eluded officers but crashed into a parked vehicle.

Venzor-Gonzalez fled on foot and was pursued by officers. During the chase, prosecutors said Venzor-Gonzalez shot multiple times at the officer, who returned fire.

The officer was later cleared of criminal charges by the district attorney’s office.

Venzor-Gonzalez avoided being captured for three days until law enforcement found where he was hiding. While trying to arrest him, officers were involved in a standoff for several hours.

Venzor-Gonzalez was apprehended and a search of his hideout in Aurora found several firearms, including an AR-15 and a Glock 26 that was later determined to be the gun used to shoot at the officer.

Venzor-Gonzalez suffered three gunshot wounds and was taken to Denver Health then booked into custody.

On March 19, 2018, while being transferred from the Denver Detention Center to Denver Health, Venzor-Gonzalez escaped from custody and evaded capture for several months.

He will go to trial for the escape charge in July.

He will be sentenced for Monday’s convictions on June 14.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories