This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER — A Denver Sheriff’s Department Deputy who was transporting inmates has been cited and placed on investigative leave after getting pulled over for driving at least 100 miles per hour in a racing incident.

Colorado State Patrol said the deputy, James Grimes, has been cited on counts of reckless driving, three counts of reckless endangerment and speeding 40 mph or more over the posted limit in a construction zone.

James Grimes
James Grimes (File Photo)

CSP confirmed with FOX31 that Grimes was driving over 100 mph Thursday around 12:23 p.m. on Interstate 25 between Monument and Castle Rock. The posted speed in the construction zone is 60 mph.

Grimes was also one of five deputies involved in the choking death of homeless inmate Marvin Booker in 2010. Booker, a homeless street preacher, died in jail following a struggle with officers after his arrest.

The 56-year-old had been arrested on drug charges. Booker died shortly after deputies shocked him with a Taser and then pinned him down. The city paid $6 million in a settlement with Booker’s family.

CSP said in a press release about the speeding incident that Grimes and a pickup driver, 27-year-old Daniel Franklin, were spotted driving aggressively and weaving in and out of traffic on northbound I-25 near Monument.

Troopers located the two vehicles with help of a CSP helicopter in the area. Franklin was stopped, arrested and charged with DUI, speeding 40 mph or more over the posted limit in a construction zone, reckless driving and no proof of insurance.

Troopers located Grimes farther north on I-25 and found him in the van with another Denver deputy and three inmates.

“The van was allowed to continue to transport the prisoners while a thorough investigation was conducted,” the released stated.

CSP released information on the deputy’s citations on Monday afternoon.

The Denver Sheriff’s Department released a statement on the incident.

“Both deputies were immediately reassigned and the driver then placed on administrative leave. Due to the ongoing criminal process and subsequent internal investigation, we are not able to provide additional information at this time,” the statement reads.