CLEAR CREEK COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — Clear Creek County residents will have a say in the official renaming of Mount Evans.
The county will hold a virtual meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday for people to give feedback and learn more about the renaming process.
Currently, the five proposed names are:
- Mount Blue Sky — Southern Cheyenne & Arapaho tribes
- Mount Cheyenne-Arapaho — Northern Cheyenne tribe
- Mount Soule — private party
- Mount Rosalie — private party
- Mount Evans — Evans Family
Mount Evans itself is named after Colorado Territorial Governor John Evans, who held office at the time of the Sand Creek Massacre. The 1864 massacre resulted in the deaths of over 230 Native Americans, a majority of which were women, children and elderly.