Denver police detective shot after disrupting Arvada robbery, suspect in custody

Data pix.

ARVADA, Colo. -- An off-duty detective with the Denver Police Department was shot while trying to intervene in a robbery in Arvada on Wednesday.

Police say the robbery happened at West 80th Avenue and Kipling Street at a Circle K gas station.

The detective was shot multiple times. Police said his injuries are non-life threatening.

Police asked for the public's assistance finding the suspect, who was reportedly driving a 2010-2015 champagne-colored Chevy Equinox without license plates.

About 9:45 p.m. Wednesday, police confirmed a male suspect is in custody. He was arrested in Westminster.

The Chevy was located in a parking lot of an apartment complex after investigators received a tip through Metro Denver Crime Stoppers.

Officers responded to the apartment complex and found the suspect a short time later. He was arrested without incident.

The suspect did not have gunshot wounds. Authorities have not yet said whether the off-duty detective fired at the suspect.

Arvada police say the suspect faces charges of attempted first-degree murder and robbery, among others.

Police say the suspect's name and photograph will not be released Wednesday night because he may be involved in other robberies in the Denver metro area.

Arvada police spokesperson David Snelling thanked the public for its help in the case.

"We're very lucky here in Arvada to have one of the most engaged communities in the metro," Snelling said.

Denver police Chief Paul Pazen became emotional while talking about the shooting.

“I speak for all of our Denver family. It is a call you don’t ever want to receive. Thankfully, in this situation, we believe a member of our family is going to be OK. I know this impacts every member of this department who wears this badge as well as every family member who supports our department," Pazen said.

Pazen described the wounded detective as a 14-year veteran with the department.

“The detective displayed great courage here, interrupting someone armed and dangerous in order to protect our community," Pazen said.

Doctors at Denver Health Medical Center said the detective was shot multiple times in both arms. He was listed in fair condition. They also say a family member who was with the detective at the time of the incident provided emergency medical care until paramedic and firefighters arrived and could transport him to the hospital.

“The challenge with any gunshot wound is you never know how serious it is at the time. And what can seem like a relatively innocuous injury can be quite devastating to the internal organs, so I’d say it was quite important," said Dr. Stephen Wolf, director of emergency medicine at Denver Health.

Pazen said authorities throughout the metro area were searching for the gunman.

The detective’s name has not been released. He is expected to be released from the hospital soon.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories