Suspect dies following crime spree, officer-involved shooting in Arvada

Local News

ARVADA, Colo. (KDVR) — UPDATE (June 9, 2021): Arvada Police identified the suspect as Eugene Milo Matthews, 24, who they said was on parole from the Colorado Department of Corrections at the time of the incident.

Police said he “menaced one victim, robbed a female victim and later felony menaced the third victim prior to confronting police.”

ORIGINAL: A man reportedly armed with a long-barrel handgun Wednesday robbed a woman outside of Target, pulled the gun on someone else and, ultimately, died by gunfire during a confrontation with police.

Arvada Police said during a press conference that they fired at the man after he fired a single gunshot from inside a stolen SUV, but they did not say where the man aimed that shot.

“From what we know, one shot was fired, and officers returned fire. But that it all the information we can provide, because this is an ongoing investigation,” Arvada Police Detective Roxzana Santacruz said.

Several neighbors woke up to the sound of rapid gunfire close to their homes.

“It’s shocking when you look out your window and see police activity,” said Kelly Gibson.

“It’s really unnerving,” said Lorie Junnila, who heard every shot outside her window. “You just don’t expect to see crime tape and bullet casings in your driveway. This is not how I expected my Wednesday to go.”

Santacruz said that at around 8:35 a.m., officers responded to an armed robbery at Target at 7899 Wadsworth Blvd. A woman reported that someone with a long-barrel handgun held her at gunpoint and stole her purse, her phone and her vehicle, which was a black GMC Yukon XL.

Santacruz said that once the suspect left the Target, he drove westbound on Pomona Drive and hit a fire hydrant. At that time, police said the suspect was confronted by another victim, and he reportedly pulled his gun on that victim and then left the area.

Officers located the suspect in the stolen vehicle at around 8:55 a.m. in the 8100 block of Garland Drive.

“From what we know, the suspect fired a shot. Officers responded and fired, and the suspect is deceased,” Santacruz said.

For several hours, the Jefferson County Critical Incident Response Team worked to reconstruct the scene, while interviewing residents and gathering evidence.

Police said no officers were injured. An investigation is underway.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Read

Top Stories

More Home Page Top Stories