ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — The Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office and South Metro Fire Rescue responded to a partial home collapse late Saturday night.
Officials say a house party of between 100 and 150 juveniles broke the home’s floor. There were no deaths, and no victims were trapped in the wreckage.
Three victims were transported to the hospital, two with minor injuries and one with serious injuries.
The collapse caused a brief natural gas leak that first responders shut off. Technicians also braced the home to prevent further collapse, and are helping to find temporary housing for the now-displaced residents.
One teenager at the party said it was a scary situation and described the moments before the floor collapsed.
“From the basement perspective you could just see a bunch of people recording and they saw the floor already kind of shaking from the basement,” Ava Martinez said. “I was standing on a coffee table with two of my other friends.”
In the video, teens gathered in the center of what Martinez described as an open area living room and kitchen at the home.
After the collapse, Martinez ended up pinned between people and the coffee table in the basement.
“I would love to try to get out of here but I’m squished in a corner on a table,” Martinez said. “There’s no way I’m going to push myself out in time.”
Martinez said she saw several people with some pretty bad injuries in the aftermath of the collapse.
“I saw a couple of arms that were bent in a non-normal way,” Martinez said. “At that point, I literally thought I was going to die.”
Officials reported several injuries, but remarkably, none of them life-threatening. The memory of the collapse, Martinez said, will be long-lasting for her.
“It was genuinely traumatizing, like hearing like my closest friends just screaming like that,” Martinez said.